Home Remodelers Survival Guide #8- 20 Questions You Should Ask to Choose the Right Contractor
Any reputable remodeling contractor should be able to answer all of the following questions positively.
You would be wise to avoid any contractor that cannot.
1. Are you properly licensed on both the state and city level?
2. Do you require all change orders to be in writing to eliminate any misunderstandings
and unexpected cost overruns?
3. Do you carry general liability insurance?
4. Do you carry worker’s compensation insurance?
5. Will you provide me with a written lien waiver at the end of the job?
6. Are you a member of NARI or NAHB? Do you subscribe to their Code of Ethics?
7. Are you certified as a CR or CGR?
8. Will you pull any necessary permits?
9. Does the contractor offer a written warranty on all workmanship?
10. Who will be in charge of my job? May I meet this person or persons?
11. Have you been a party in any construction litigation?
12. Will you provide me with references?
13. What percentage of your business is repeat or referral based?
14. How many projects like mine have you completed in the last year or two?
15. How do you plan to reduce dust and protect the rest of my home from the
effects of other work? (Good contractors erect dust barriers and use drop cloths
and other protective material to protect your home.)
16. How is daily and general clean-up handled?17. Will the contractor provide phone numbers for himself and staff so that any questions or concerns you may have thought of after working hours can be immediately addressed?
18. Will you provide me with a written contract that clearly spells out exactly what you will do, what your price includes and does not include and specifies a guaranteed price, payment schedule, and a completion date?
19. Will a professional designer design my job?
20. Does the contractor provide realistic renderings, sketches, and perspectives to allow you to clearly visualize your project early in the planning stages?